Jean Paul Gaultier Dress
Amazing mesh or “tattoo-like” draped strapless dress by the one and only Jean Paul Gaultier. Circa 1990’s.
Gorgeous, dramatic and very rock and roll stretch maxi dress, with a slightly sheer nylon fabric and psychedelic prints on both front and back. Abstract print in shades of red, black and ivory white. The colours remind me to a painting by the spanish artist Antoni Tàpies, and the print to some cells seen by a microscope.
Very JPG. Definitely a statement dress and a stunner.
About the designer: This dress belongs to JPG’s tattoo garments from “Le Soleil” collection, on which he used to explore the concepts of nudity and eroticism by transforming materials into a second skin. His printed tattoo garments in stretch tulle explore the potential of the “trompe l’oeil” (to deceive the eye) creating clothes that reveal or show off what normally would be concealed.
This vintage dress by Jean-Paul Gaultier is highly collectable and represents very well his humor, detail and eccentricity.
Please note: Body fitting silhouette and a see-through but the draping at the sides makes it not so sheer!
– Label: Unfortunately previous owner removed the tags as shown in the last photo.
– Composition: 100% Nylon Polyamide.
– Stretchy fabric.
– No size tag.
– Real size: lots of stretch and it would fit a wide range of sizes, best for a Medium.
– Made in Italy, bought in France.
– Perfect vintage condition except for the missing tag.